Foundation and Overview
1. First start by verbally going over the following steps with your client while applying the Tagaderm recommended brands for application:
2. Tagaderm is to be left on for 5-7 days (not including the day of application)
3. The wrap is water resistant but not water proof (do not submerged in water)
4. While showering avoid direct contact with water for long periods of time. If water runs down or hits Tagaderm briefly that’s ok. If water is to best on the wrap for a period of time it will not hurt the tattoo, however it will make the wrap suction to your skin. It will then become very irritating to wear and harder to remove.
5. Dry Tagaderm after each shower by gently whipping clean with a clean towel.
6. Some things you will notice over the course of these 5-7 days. The wrap will fill with a black liquid. This is absolutely normal and is just excess ink, blood, and Plasma.
7. If you notice a build up of fluid under the wrap please contact your tattoo artist right away for further instructions.
8. Please avoid any excessive movement and or physical activities that could cause irritation, or sweat to build under the wrap.
9. If a corner peels up on the wrap please feel free to cut and remove any excess non stuck pieces.
10. If any water and or debris somehow enters the wrap please contact your artist right away.
11. If you notice anything odd as in excessive irritation, redness after 3 days, excessive pain, excessive inflammation, or have any questions concerning your Tagaderm/ tattoo please don’t hesitate to contact your artist.
12. Before the next step (removing the wrap) pleas throughly clean your hands and surrounding area of the wrap with an antibacterial liquid soap. Please refrain from using any sort of bar soap or soap that has been exposed to outside contaminates.
Recommended product for this step: ( liquid pump dial gold un scented soap)
13. After completing the 5-7 day process. We recommend removing the wrap after allowing it to soak in a warm bath or shower for at-least 5 minutes. This warm water will actually loosen the adhesive and will result in an easier removal of the Tagaderm.
14. When removing the wrap (in the shower or bath) slowly pull the Tagaderm away from your tattoo slowly starting at the top of the wrap/tattoo. This again will allow warm water to enter behind the adhesive wrap and allow for easier removal.
15. Once the wrap is completely removed you will notice that your tattoo will be very dry, and covered in the hardened black liquid mentioned in step #6.
16. Gently with the palm of your hand (again making sure they are clean first) in a slow circular motion, apply the un scented antibacterial liquid soap to your fresh tattoo. Make sure to clean throughly but not abrasively. DO NOT USE PAPER TOWEL,TOWEL, OR ANY CLOTH!
17. After lathering the tattoo with your liquid antibacterial soap rinse the tattoo with lukewarm water. Make sure not to leave any excess soapy residue on the tattoo.
Side note: after cleaning the tattoo the first time,of all of the black hardened residue. You may or may not notice small pieces of adhesive that has adhered itself to your skin or tattoo.
This is absolutely normal and not uncommon. If this does happen please do not pick, scratch, rub, or be abrasive to your tattoo with intentions of trying to remove the left over adhesive residue. This residue will come off naturally over the course of the next few days.
18. Pat the tattoo dry with a dry clean lint free cloth or paper towel. Then allow to air dry completely. DO NOT WIPE!
19. Repeat that cleaning process 2-3 times a day until your tattoo is full healed
20. Once the tattoo is clean you will notice that it is dry and more then likely will have a very light peel to it comparable to sunburn. light scabbing is also something you may or may not notice a day or 2 after removing the Tagaderm.
DO NOT PICK AND OR SCRATCH AT THE TATTOO
21. Any time you notice that your tattoo is dry. Apply a non scented dry skin lotion. You may continue to do so even after your tattoo is healed to help with the longevity of your new piece of art work. Recommended product for this step: lubiderm, Unscented Aveeno daily,Eucerin, any unscented lotion
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW:
avoid sweating in the wrap
avoid direct sunlight during the healing process and tanning
do not apply sunscreen to tattoo unless healed
do not swim or go in a hot tub until the wrap is removed and tattoo is healed
do not pick or scratch at a healing tattoo